black moldBlack mold, or Stachybotrys chartarum, is a toxic species of mold that can cause severe symptoms and life-threatening health problems that includes breathing problems, mental impairment, and internal organ damage. That’s why it is very important to determine whether or not the mold in your home is toxic.

Keep in mind that not all mold that is black is toxic. These toxic mold species is greenish-black in color and is typically slimy because of its wet top layer. If you suspect that your home might be infested with black mold, either purchase a mold test kit or hire a mold inspector to find out for sure.

Black Mold Hazards

Because it produces toxins called mycotoxins, black mold has been considered a health threat. There are a number of symptoms a person may experience from black mold. These are categorized in groups as follows:

Mental and Neurological Symptoms – Mycotoxins are neurotoxic, which means they can damage the neurons of the brain and can weaken the mental ability of an individual. Specifically, its symptoms include disorientation, confusion, slowed reflexes, brain fog, memory loss, hallucinations, shock, anxiety, dizziness, and depression to enumerate a few.

Respiratory Symptoms – People generally breathe in spores and mycotoxins from toxic black mold. This eventually creates a burning feeling and irritation in the mouth, nasal cavity, throat, lungs, sinuses, and mucus membranes. Respiratory symptoms include wheezing, sore throat, coughing, difficulty breathing, itchy /runny/stuffed nose, bleeding gums, nose bleeds, or swelling or bleeding in the lungs.

Circulatory Symptoms – If the toxins are ingested, breathed in, or absorbed through the skin and eyes, they could find their way into the blood leading to symptoms like heart inflammation, hemorrhage, irregular heartbeat, bone marrow disruption, blood vomiting or low blood pressure.

Vision and Eye Symptoms – Mycotoxins can cause eye damage, Jaundice, eye inflammation, blurry vision and bloodshot eyes if they come in contact with the eyes.

Skin Symptoms – Improper handling of toxic black mold may cause serious rashes, crawling skin, and other skin conditions.

Immune System Symptoms – A person exposed to toxic black mold is likely to get sicknesses and infections more easily as the toxic fungi releases chemicals that suppress the immune system.

Reproductive System Symptoms – Because mycotoxins are teratogenic, mutagnic and cytoxotic, they may cause birth defects and inhibit protein synthesis. Other symptoms include infertility, impotence, or miscarriage.

Tiredness and Discomfort Symptoms – The immune system’s defense against the effects of toxic mold is by releasing a sedative. This, in turn, cause symptoms such as chest pain, chronic fatigue, weakness, abdominal pain, drowsiness, joint pain, fever, headaches, cold, diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting.

Other Symptoms – Symptoms of black mold exposure also include hearing loss, liver disease, hair loss, weight loss and anorexia, as well as coma.

While some people may not suffer symptoms as grave as what others experience, the effects of toxic mold should never be taken lightly. If you or a mold inspector has determined toxic mold growth in your home, contact a black mold removal specialist to have it remediated immediately.